Our Lady of Providence High School is an inter-parochial, co-educational school located in Clark County, Indiana, near metropolitan Louisville, Kentucky. serving southern Indiana. The school is operated by the New Albany Deanery, under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis.
At the request of Most Reverend Paul C. Schulte, Archbishop of Indianapolis, the school was built, owned and operated by the Sisters of Providence, whose motherhouse is located at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana. The first freshmen, 137 students from 11 parishes in Clark, Floyd and Harrison counties, entered on September 12, 1951. Within a decade the student population exceeded 800. In 1973, there were 18 parishes of the New Albany Deanery that purchased the school from the Sisters.
Providence Junior High was created in 1989 to accommodate Deanery parishes without elementary schools and/or without grades 7 and 8. In 1995, the president-principal model was enacted and Gerald K. Wilkinson ’58 became the first president of Providence. By 1996 the Our Lady of Providence Junior-Senior High Board of Directors assumed the governance previously held by the Deanery Board. In 2006, the Board of Directors became a Board of Trustees. In the fall of 2017, the junior high was discontinued, and the name of the school went back to Our Lady of Providence High School.
Slideshow presentations of our history, compiled by school archivist Ray Day ’57:
Expansions and Renovations
– 1959 – School expands with 12-classroom addition.
– 1989 – Robert I. Larkin Center gymnasium built – Larkin was principal from 1971-1988.
– 1996 – Three-floor educational wing connected former convent and school buildings.
– 2000 – Façade, front entrance and lobby renovated.
– 2003 – Visual Arts studios created on the third floor of the Larkin Center.
– 2006 – Sam & Paula Robinson Performing Arts Center built. Paula Robinson is a 1965 graduate. The facility includes a 560-seat theatre and the Ray Day Little Theatre. Day is a 1957 graduate and founder of the musical theatre program.
– 2007 – James W. & Phyllis Robinson Sports Wing opened. Facility includes weight training room and athletic locker rooms.
– 2008 – Original gym was renovated and named the Koetter Gymnasium in honor of the enormous dedication and support provided by Bob and Gladys Koetter, their five sons and the Koetter Group, Inc.
– 2008 – Original classroom wing known as the ‘51 building was remodeled and third science room, faculty and staff lunch and planning rooms added.
– 2009 – House System of student leadership was initiated.
– 2011 – The Music Department moved into the west wing, thus completing Phase III of the Performing Arts Center.
– 2012 – iPads were introduced for all students and faculty members. Extensive technical upgrades were completed in the years following, including campus-wide wifi and network infrastructure updates. Technical growth and expansion is continuous at Providence.
– 2014 – Larkin Center renovation. Artificial turf installed on Sartini Field in Murphy Stadium. Chapel, Guidance and Campus Store all moved to new locations.
– 2015 – Demolition of old convent building, construction of dedicated Chapel and new tennis courts, relocation and renovation of baseball field.
– 2016 – New baseball field with turf infield, dugouts, and press box as part of a new combined entrance to the baseball and football/soccer field constructed. Mr. Steve Williamson became third president of PHS.
– 2017 – Providence Athletic Center (PAC), with new concession stand and restrooms for football, soccer, track, and baseball events, dedicated.
– 2018-2019 – Major gift enables naming of the R.W. Marshall Foundation Providence Athletic Center. Murphy Stadium home bleachers replaced and new press box constructed.