skip to Main Content

In early 1950, the Most Reverend Paul C. Schulte, Archbishop of Indianapolis, sought the services of the Congregation of the Sisters of Providence, from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana, to establish a Catholic high school for the parishes in Clark, Floyd and Harrison counties. Following a groundbreaking ceremony on March 21, 1951, and cornerstone laying on June 12, Our Lady of Providence High School opened its doors to a freshman class of 137 on September 12, 1951.

By 1959, the student population had grown to over 700 students and an addition to the school was added. In the mid-1960s, enrollment peaked at nearly 900 students.

A turning point in the school’s history came in November 1972, when Providence was purchased from the Sisters of Providence by a governing board of New Albany Deanery parish leaders. Financial challenges and enrollment swings were subsequently addressed and the school enjoyed a period of stability under strong lay leadership during the ‘70s and ‘80s.

Major campus improvements were made in the late 1980s and early 1990s with construction of the Larkin Center gym and building expansion with the connection of the old convent for new classroom additions. The lobby and front facade of the building were renovated in 2000.

In 1989, Our Lady of Providence began accepting junior high students to accommodate those parishes without grades 7 and 8. In 1996, the Our Lady of Providence Jr-Sr High Board of Trustees assumed the governance responsibilities previously held by the Deanery Board.

Entering the new century, additional improvements were made – a new art wing in 2003; completion of the Sam and Paula Robinson Performing Arts Center, along with a new weight room and football locker room in 2006; and music classrooms, theater dressing rooms and  Little Theater performance space in 2011.

Most recently, campus renovations have included the installation of a turf field for soccer and football, a turf infield surface and new dugouts and backstop for baseball, new tennis courts, and a new stadium entrance building named the PAC (Providence Athletic Complex).  A permanent chapel was built alongside the student entrance in 2015, emphasizing the centrality of our Catholic faith to the school.

Back To Top
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux